Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Haze and Gunpowder

I grimaced as my head throbbed with a stabbing pain. I sat up from my bed still fully clothed and looked around. How long have I been out? I looked around the room for a few minutes to shake off the cob webs and vainly wait out the chainsaw inside my head. I stood up.

 Someone forgot to turn off my televisions. Luckily CONCORD was just starting. I hummed the theme song to myself as I walked over to my "kitchen" with hopes of finding something to cure this headache. I tripped over some empty cans, almost taking down the shelf I frantically grabbed to steady myself. Nice 'n easy fella. Idle hands make the devil's work, or in this case copious amounts of whiskey. Always pay for it the next day, at least your body does! Here we go! 

 Still had some Quafe left! Score! I cracked one open and downed it, my hands automatically opening a new one as I tossed the empty bottle away. I glanced at the mirror and examined myself. Maybe I should let this hair grow. I mused over having a nice set of dread locks for a bit, then walked over to the couch. I sat down, CONCORD still on. What's this? A small rectangular metallic object with a couple buttons was on my nightstand. There was a note attached to it. I wiped some Quafe from my chin as I reached for the note and read it. Nothing complicated, just a simple message of "Play the tape when you're coherent. Stay away from the whiskey next time." I smiled as I crumpled the note and tossed it. I reached over, played the tape, and listened to my voice.

The war with DnG was still on, and we needed some kills to level the field. I returned to the warm embrace of Metropolis and Heimatar space. My time away from here, even though it was short, I had missed it and grown fond of it. There was a Tristan on scan and in Evati. There was also a lot of pilots in the system, something I was very iffy about. But I haven't shot anything since my engagements with Nuke Cave and my trigger finger needed to release its itch! I warped to a novice plex to ensure nothing nasty jumped in on me without me seeing it on short scan. I loaded EMP and Mjolnir rockets and waited. Tristan on short. Waited a few more seconds. He entered the plex well within brawling range of my Rifter. Locked, webbed and scrammed and held a tight orbit as my autocannons pounded his shields. They were slowly but surely falling, which meant once I got through his shield his Tristan would crumble. His drones already had me in armor and my SAAR was working overtime to keep me in the fight. My tank was hanging in there as I punched through his shields and landed a huge hit that sent him into half armor. Speed was good, transversal good, tank is holding up, and the Tristan is in hull with his ship falling apart fast. Two more volleys, and the Tristan exploded in Minmatar Space.

Couple days later my search for war targets continued. Although it was late, I was optimistic. I undocked from Gultratren, passed through Arnstur (Nothing) and Brin (Nada). I entered Helgatid and it had several pilots in systems along with a DnG fella. D-Scan showed a Slicer but he wasn't at a celestial or a plex. Gonna try something here. I opened a novice plex, warped to it and waited a bit outside the acceleration gate. Shortly after short scan shows a Slicer inbound, moments later my overview contained a flashy red Slicer who indeed turned out to be the war target. He landed right ontop of me, and I immediately scrammed him to shut off his MWD and unleashed a barrage of gunfire and rockets. His shields crumbled and his ship's armor was being torn apart. My shields were down but I closed distance just in time as his laser blasts were missing my Rifter. I continued my close orbit and gunfire as his armor steadily tore apart and entered structure. My repper was comfortably tanking the damage with a good amount of pumps left, by this time he was already in deep structure. Three volleys later, his Slicer exploded as his pod warped off. I continued my roam of the area for another hour, but turned up empty handed. I docked up in Gultra and rested up before heading back out again later.

Later was here, and I set back out on my hunting route. The first few systems were of no incident. It wasn't until I reached a bit further out to Evati in one of the detour systems called Lasleinur that I landed at the gate with another Slicer. We both entered the system at the same time, and I watched as he warped off to the sun. That could only mean one thing. He wants to fight! Although I'd be at a disadvantage because of no plex's to force him into brawling distance, who can pass on a frig 1v1 at the sun? I followed him. I landed at the sun and the Slicer was 60-65km away from me going about 3400 m/s. I remained motionless to watch his direction of movement hoping I could burn at an angle that would intercept his path. He closed the distance fast, and at 35km I activated my afterburner and tried to intercept him. He locked me and fired his lasers, which took out most of my shield. 25km. 23km. 19km. Just a bit more! Cmon! 16km. 15km. The Slicer lingered at that range and began to pull away! I loaded Barrage immediately and stayed on him as I activated my SAAR. Time to prepare for the slingshot. I aligned to a random planet as my crew was still loading Barrage. I was already down to 5 reps left in my SAAR and not taking significant damage so I shut it off. My crew signaled the guns were ready to go and I fired away and began to scratch at his shields. His speed was helping him because my guns were missing, but enough shots were landing to damage his shield a good amount. I broke off the alignment to the planet and began to chase him down to help my guns out. As I watched his speed for an opportunity, the distance between us was closing. 17km, 15km, 13km!! Between 17km and 13km his speed went from 3k m/s to 409 m/s! I burned towards him and landed my webbifier on the Slicer which brought his speed down to the 200's! My repper had began the 60 second reload phase a few moments before, and I was already in half armor quickly entering deep armor. He was 12km away now with low shields as my Rifter closed in on him. I got in scram range, landed point and he was sitting pretty at 9,000 meters away as I set my orbit to 7500 meters because I had Barrage loaded. I landed some solid hits that put him in deep armor, but my Rifter was already in hull! My lights were going off and the sirens were screeching in the Crew's quarters! The Slicer's lasers were recking my Rifter, and I aligned to a celestial incase I had to get my pod out. He was 7,000 meters away and I was in half structure as he entered hull! It was a desperate last stand for both of us. I was still pointed and in deep hull and so was he. I lost my point and web, but I think he wanted to stay for the kill. My autocannons were firing away, and a beautiful volley left him with a small sliver of hull left!! A calm ping from my overview sounded as the Slicer exploded! I was still spamming warp so I had warped off the field in my flaming Rifter! Gf gf!!

 Another couple days later, the war with DnG was over. They were the victors. I took my Rifter out to "congratulate" them personally. I roamed through my systems with no sign of them or anyone else to fight. On my way back, I arrive in Arnstur and spot an unamed Kestrel on scan. Score! I scan around, narrow him down to a Novice and warp off. I continue to scan around and see a Tormentor with the name "Glittah Brawlah" Ke$ha's Boys! After this Kestrel, definitely gonna pay him a visit! I enter the plex and the Kestrel was sitting right off the warp in *smiles* I spam lock and approach him, but right as the lock is complete he warps off! Damn! I check short scan and the Tormentor was there. I loaded Fusion ammo and Nova rockets and waited. The Tormentor landed about 5,000 meters away. We locked each other up, webbed and scrammed and exchanged gunfire. His shields fall apart as mine follow close behind. I burn towards him to close distance, at 3,000 meters he enters half armor and I begin to rep the incoming damage to my armor. The gunfire is quick and hectic, and by the time I'm at my ideal range his Tormentor is already smoking and burning in hull. My SAAR crew was doing a magnificent job and kept my Rifter hovering at half armor as the Tormentor steadily tore apart, and with one glorious volley it exploded. Gf! I looted n' scooted and made my way to Gultratren, with my mission accomplished for the night.


I was on my fourth Quafe as the tape ended. The recordings had sparked sudden memories of the fights throughout my sporadic activity in the past few days. Well shit happens man! I grabbed my remote control and turned up the volume on CONCORD. Whachu gonna do when they come for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment